Surah Al Qadr
Its theme is to acquaint man with the value, worth and importance of the Quran. It is a glorious Book and its revelation for mankind is full of blessings.
– Entire Surah is for the honour of one night, demonstrating the importance and how tremendous this one night is.
– This Surah commemorates the 1st revelation, . Its being placed just after Surah Al-Alaq in the arrangement of the Quran by itself explains that the Holy Book, the revelation of which began with the first five verses of Surah Al-Alaq. was sent down in a destiny making night.
Qadr – The word Qadr originates meaning amount, a measurement.
a) measure of the rank of someone, ie) He has great amount with Allah
= Great value, worth
Qadr – Destiny, the way everything is measured out, ie) How much I live, how much I work
Therefore Laylatul Qadr means the Night of Destiny and Great worth.
And Surah Al Qadr means the Surah of Destiny and Great Worth
1) Inna anzalnahu fee laylatialqadr
Indeed we sent it down in the night of power.
Inna acts as emphasis, meaning doubt it not
Verb is in the form of “we”, this is the we of tremendousness, so it can be seen as “tremendous sending down”
It is referring to Quran, the effect of starting with a pronoun with no reference points is to emphasise and praise,
Suggests there can be no doubt to what the surah is referring to, and what this tremendous matter is that was sent down.
This has the effect that the Quran is known, present and magnified in our hearts.
“We have sent it down”
Clarifies That is, it is not a composition of Muhammad (upon whom be Allah’s peace and blessing) himself, but Allah says We Ourself have revealed it.
AL Qadr = THE power, essence of great worth, ALL the worth.
“night of destiny” has multiple meanings.
First, that it is the night during which destinies are decided
The revelation of this Book in this night is not merely the revelation of a book but an event which will change the destiny of not only the Quraish, or of Arabia, but of, the entire world
2) Wama adraka ma laylatualqadr?
And what will explain to you what the night of power is?
=what can possible explain to you the true essence of the night?
= increase impact, shows the listener that reality is beyond comprehension
=Highlights that only Allah can answer this question and tell us, none of creation knows.
Adra is in past tense, suggesting the answer will come
These two verses build up suspense and intrigue, the listener will be wanting to know more.
3) Laylatu alqadri khayrun min alfi shahr
The night of Great Worth is better then a thousand months,
Repition of “laylatul qadr”
=great anticipation, awe and emphasis,
=noun where a pronoun is expected, oppossite to verse 1 which has a pronoun where a noun is expected.
1000 months is 83 years, which is a whole lifetime, Laylatul Qadr is better then a whole life time! If you worship in this night, it is as if you have worshipped your entire life!
Allah has given us specific places and times as He SWT wants us to give importance to this, and wants us to search them out.
Allah magnified this night, therefore we should magnify it.
Allah has hidden this night from us
-Great matters require hardwork and determination to obtain
– The people who find it will be those who are determined to.
-In His wisdom, as a mercy to us, Allah SWT has given us avidness, desire and exertion,
May Allah bless us with these things.
Laylatul Qadr can be said to be similar to
– Blessed hour on Fridat
– Supreme name
– The most exalted prayer
– Our final hour (death)
As we don’t know when it causes us to struggle and strive to gain ajr or avoid disadvantage.
4) Tanazzalu almala-ikatu warroohufeeha bi-ithni rabbihim min kulli amr
In it the angels and the spirit descend by the leave of their Lord, for every command.
Tannazzul – implies multitude, one after another
The spirit – Jibreel, Source of knowledge, through him revelation comes down. He has a special rank
With the leave
– implies the Angles are ready and waiting to come, they want to come, as soon as the permission of Allah is given they leave.
– The earth is blessed they want to come down.
– Angels love believers and believers love angels.
– Angels love dhikr, believers love dhikr
The angles come with the commands for the next year.
5) Salamun hiya hatta matlaAAialfajr
Peace it is, till the rising of dawn
– Salaam = pure well being, goodness, freedom from bad/pain
The word peace is first, instead of there is peace until dawn, “peace it is” this emphasises that this is the night of pure peace, the essence of peace.
NOT peaceful as an adjective, ie “the night is peaceful”
Instead emphasis; “the night is Peace”
– Hatta =until the last moment, all the way, every moment.
The night that evil will not touch those in ibadah and angels will be praying for believers.